An Exclusive-use, mountain sanctuary for discerning families at the foot of the Bainskloof Pass
The foot of the Bainskloof Pass mountains, on over 800-hectares of private reserve, in proximity to the Witte and Bastiaanskloof rivers. Western Cape
Drakenskloof is a private reserve situated near the Witte and Bastiaanskloof rivers, at the base of the Bainskloof Pass mountains, barely 90 minutes drive from Cape Town. It rises out of the soil it inhabits with such reverence and blends in well with the surrounding natural environment. The reserve spans more than 800 hectares. India House is the heart of the lodge, its thoughtfully designed sections revolve around the main, open-concept living and dining areas, next to a Moroccan-inspired courtyard. Four ensuite bedrooms and additional guest bathroom are scattered down corridors where natural light floods through the tall windows. The interior design and overall pacing of the residence are in harmony with the family's attitude, which is evident throughout and was influenced by Ottolenghi's cookbooks. It is Simple,
The polyurethane flooring, the sugar-gum timber, and the gabian stone walls. The custom wallpapers created by Katie Lund, the flower photographs taken by Filipa Domingues, the Gregor Jenkin dining table, and the antique collectibles that were brought in from Ethiopia, India, and Zanzibar all boast an abundance of color, texture, and flair. elevated by the modern lighting fixtures, opulent four-poster beds, exquisite linens, and tasteful furniture. everything encapsulated in the atmosphere of a healthy living in harmony with nature. Through the windows and doors, the colors and shapes of the surrounding environment filter in and settle upon the walls.
A short stroll under the pergola, with a view of the mountain peaks, past the heated swimming pool and the pavilion with the long table next to the fireplace through the gardens and past the donkeys and hens takes one to Mapacha's front wooden door, where the story of nature is told. A spacious, open-concept, two-bedroom cottage with an ensuite bathroom opens to a verdant paradise of medicinal herbs, succulents, fynbos, and overgrown grasses visible through huge glass sliding doors. The Swahili word for "twin," mapacha, is the ideal addition to India House. Follow the up into the mountains and to a wood-fired hot tub bubbling under the open sky.
At Drakenskloof, time seems to stand still, evoking a limitless utopian paradise where you can spend as much time as you wish. When you're not lazing on one of the daybeds and letting the peace and quiet engross you in your thoughts, you'll be exploring the mountain paths and discovering more about the flora, animals, and ongoing conservation efforts that are of utmost importance on the reserve. You will undoubtedly spend several hours feasting at the tables while enjoying a straightforward, generous, and healthy food that is specifically created for your enjoyment in the pavilion or dining room or at other times, in a small private garden or the courtyard. After all the indulgence, a second stroll in the woods is well due. Alternatively, you might swim in the river that flows barely 150 meters from the front door, right past the garden.
- • All meals and drinks (excluding French Champagne) Dedicated full service team
• 2 Children under 13 stay free with 6 adults and 4 children free with 8+ adults. 10 Adults maximum
• Use of a Polaris all-terrain vehicle, mountain bikes and walking equipment
• All on-reserve guest experiences
• Childminding (2 hours per day)
• Guided or unguided walks or trail runs. Backpacks, food, drinks, radios and sunscreen provided. Choose from 4 trails, including access to a Bushman’s cave and waterfall.
• Guided tours of this unique Cape Floristic region
• 30 minute hike and tour of an untouched Bushman’s Cave, including bushman art
• Bush Drives - Day and night. 2 Polaris All-Terrain Vehicles available for self drive or hosted drive
• Birding - 140 species, including several fynbos endemics.
• Star gazing - Guided or non guided
• River swimming - A large natural river pool and manicured garden 100m from India House
• A large heated swimming pool
• Woodfired hot tub - available on 5 hours notice
• Croquet, boules, Mölkky, table tennis, yoga mats available
• Cycling - Adult bikes and helmets available
• Silent disco - 10 wireless head phones available on request
• Guided night-time scorpion exploration
• 2 iconic houses with 5 suites, connected by 4 gardens and a perennial river
• Includes host, chef, butlers and floral kingdom guide
• Includes all food, drinks and in-reserve experiences (excl reserve wines & helicopter tours)
• Accommodates up to 10 adults and 6 children; Rates from 6 adults + kids go free
• 1 hr 30 min from Cape Town, or 30 min helicopter transfer
• 2,500 hectares nestled in the Bainskloof Valley
• Forms part of the Boland Mountain Complex in the Cape Floristic region, one of eight areas in South Africa designated by Unesco as World Heritage sites
• Access to two perennial rivers, the Witte River and the Bastiaanskloof River
• Contains over 800 species of fynbos tree, shrub and plant and a wide range of fauna, including Leopard, Klipspringer, Black Eagles, Angulate Tortoises, Cape Clawless Otters, Giant Musk Shrews, Blackbacked Jackel and Cape Horseshoe bats.
• Over 140 bird species, with several fynbos endemics found on the property including the Cape Rock-jumper, Victorin’s Warbler, Orange Breasted Sunbird, Cape Sugarbird, Protea Seedeater and the Cape Siskin.