Luxury Self-Catering Safari Camp in the Timbavati Reserve
Timbavati Game Reserve, Limpopo,
The Timbavati Game Reserve is a private Big Five nature reserve which is part of the Greater Kruger National Park, South Africa.
Machaton Camp is an intimate and exclusive camp offering a secluded and private safari experience. Next, to owning a private safari lodge, there is no more private way to enjoy a safari in the world famous Timbavati Reserve.
The camp consists of the main building which features a lounge, kitchen and covered verandah, as well as 3 individual luxury suites. Each suite offers a large en-suite bedroom, a well-appointed bathroom with an outdoor shower, a dayroom with a sumptuous daybed and a large terrace with a plunge pool, allowing guests to either enjoy the main areas together or retreat in private to the suite.
Privacy is guaranteed thanks to the careful placement of the suites and privacy walls, ensuring a tranquil and intimate stay.
Safaris are conducted in Machaton Private Camp’s private 4x4 vehicle over 9,000 hectares in the Timbavati Game Reserve, which shares unfenced boundaries with the Kruger National Park, allowing for free movement of animals between the two iconic reserves.
The only things the guests have to bring is the following
- Drinks and drinking water ( water is safe for consumption, some guests just find it a bit salty due to high mineral content)
(All of the above can be ordered from La Bamba/Spar/Pick n Pay in Hoedspruit, and they will deliver it all before your arrival)
A Chef can be booked on a service only basis - The guests still bring their own food, the chef will just prepare all meals.
Fully catered basis - The chef will be in contact with the guests to discuss menu and dietry requirements, he will purchase all food, and prepare meals.
We are a family camp, thus we are child friendly.
Children are allowed on game drives.
Due to the fact that we are a private camp, and the camp is on sole-use basis, the game drives can be cut short if a child is not enjoying the drive and a parent would like to return to camp.
The ranger is entitled to withdraw from a sighting if he/she feels a guest or child is disturbing such sighting.
- The whole camp as exclusive sole use, on self catering basis.
- 3 luxury chalets each with 2 rooms ( can sleep 4), full bathroom, private patios with splash pool and outside shower
- Nespresso machines in each room, each guest receives a coffee pod each day, cappuccino machine in the kitchen(bean to cup), beans, pods and instant coffee is supplied, tea is also supplied
- Cleaning staff /housekeeping, groundsmen, game ranger
- 2 x 3 hour game drives each day - morning coffee stop and afternoon sundowner
- Fully kitted kitchen
- The boma has braai(bbq) facilities with everything you will need to braai/grill
- Linens/towels etc
- a Complementary bag of hardwood firewood to start the campfire with every evening, the fire will be lit by the time the guests return from their game drive
Quoted rates are for 8 people but the lodge can sleep 10, extra guests rates are R2,050 per person per night for guests over the age of 11 and R1000 per person per night for children aged 4 - 11. Children under 3 stay free.
The lodge offers Big 5 game drives in the early morning and late afternoon/evening, taking advantage of the time of day that the animals are naturally most active. Nocturnal creatures - including the big cats - are regular sightings after dark. Currently over 40 mammal species are listed as resident in the Timbavati, including the Big 5 - Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Buffalo and Elephant, as well as endangered species including Wild Dogs and Cheetah. There is an abundance of birdlife, with a total of 360 species of bird listed.